6.09.2011

Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas


My mother lent me this book recently.  Upon taking it, she said she couldn't wait to read my review of it prompting me to move it to the top of my (very long) reading list.  I am certainly glad I did.  In Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Prophet, Martyr, Spy, Eric Metaxas provides a thorough account of the life of Dietrich Bonhoeffer.  Bonhoeffer was born into a large, aristocratic German family who were devoted deeply to intellectual careers.  In a home of scientists and philosophers, Dietrich's choice at a young age to pursue theology in his academic endeavors may have seemed an unlikely choice and particularly unfavorable for such a bright young man.  There was, however, a tradition of theologians in his mother's side of the family.  He was educated in Tubingen, Berlin, and New York, and his ministries took him to Barcelona, London, and various cities in Germany.  He became deeply involved in the ecumenical church community as was as the Confessing church tradition.  With his keen mind, love for scripture, and gift for writing, Dietrich was clearly cut out for the career of a full-time academic.  This was not to be his fate.  His commitment to living a Christian life according to both Christ's example and his teachings led to his decision to be a pastor and ultimately to his role in a plot to eliminate Hitler.  It may be difficult for an American reader to justify how godly living could not be dissonant cognitively with assassinating a head of state.  One must recognize the deep love that Bonhoeffer had through Christ for those being persecuted.  Briefly, his justification for these actions depended on knowing that God was the source of all authority.  Any government who abused their God-given power must be held accountable by the body of believers who are the representatives of Christ on earth.  Not only is it right for the Christian to speak out against injustice, it is a high calling and duty.  Dietrich desired to be a voice for all the voiceless Jews (and Christians) who had been kidnapped, tortured, worked, starved, murdered, and cruelly disposed of by Hitler and the Third Reich.  In doing so, he accepted that he, too, might share in their suffering and ultimately Christ's suffering. 

To dispel any thoughts that this book is another story on Hitler, WWII, or the Holocaust because such topics are often dreary and depressing, this book is anything but that.  Truly the majority of it is devoted to the expression of Bonhoeffer's faith, his remarkable friendships, his career, his tight knit family, and even romance.  True, Dietrich lived a short life (being executed at age 39), but in those short years he lived a very robust and meaningful life.  Learning about his life filled me with such hope, wonder, and admiration for a man I've never known that I can hardly help but want to encourage all my friends to read it.  Dietrich Bonhoeffer was much more than a pastor, prophet, martyr, or spy; he was a musician, a friend, a writer, a brother, a scholar, a fiancé, and above all a man deeply committed to God.

As for Eric Metaxas writing, I have to say that it was miraculous.  It was obvious how much research he had done (this book is over 500 pages), and he typically allowed the story to be told by the writings of others (principally, of course, Dietrich's own letters and texts).  The chapters gradually shift from titles about where Dietrich lives for a period of time (Barcelona 1928, Berlin 1929, America 1930-1931, etc.) to the subjects that determined the direction his life took (Plotting Against Hitler, Bonhoeffer in Love, Valkyrie and the Stauffenberg Plot, etc).  In truth, Dietrich's story really was at first about where he traveled and shifted to the decision to remain in Germany once the war began and actively work against the evil regime.  Metaxas provides a full understanding of Bonhoeffer's life in an engaging writing style.  Metaxas hardly inserted himself in the narrative making it feel like the story wasn't being told by someone who wasn't actually there.  When I did notice the author, it was to clarify or interpret a theological principle or some action Dietrich took.  I was grateful for these occasions for two reasons.  First, it is so easy to mischaracterize a person when words and actions are taken out of their appropriate context.  Metaxas was certain to provide the right context for everything he wrote.  Second, some of his reflections helped me synthesize my understanding of something particularly difficult absorb.  Bonhoeffer at times is too smart for me, and it was nice to have Metaxas as my interpreter.

I recommend this book (as I said before) to anyone and everyone.  Honestly, I wish I had this book before I read The Cost of Discipleship (by Dietrich Bonhoeffer) because I think it would have made his teachings more profound.  After all, how much more closely do you listen to someone when you know them and how they came to know what they want to teach you?  I am also looking forward to reading Bonhoeffer's Ethics.  In truth, this biography is a testament to how he lived and is likely as instructive on Christian living as anything Bonhoeffer himself actually wrote.  Please please please read it.

No comments: