6.09.2011

Winning the Future by Newt Gingrich

Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich outlines his perspective on policy proposals for our country. He draws on many of his own experiences in politics and education to add personal observations on what would be good for the U.S. According to Gingrich, Americans ought to be focusing on issues like Social Security reform, illegal immigration, patriotic educations, and health care to name a few. He also illustrates how important the checks and balance system put in place by our founding fathers is to preserve a healthy representative government. Gingrich directly addresses how the judicial branch was never meant to legislate and how the legislative branch was never supposed to introduce complicated and lengthy bills which are difficult to understand and little less, implement. Gingrich prophetically discusses elections and the unfairness of the McCain-Feingold rule. Thankfully for us, it has been ruled unconstitutional.

My friend Kelly sent me this book. I am grateful I got to read it. Normally I'm not big on policy books written by conservatives because I tend to agree with a lot and not learn very much. However, there were a number of occasions I learned a lot about how our government currently functions. I was shocked by the amount of (what I consider) corruption exists in American politics- more literally, in Washington, DC. Perhaps it comes from his experience of having been in the establishment during the Clinton years, but it was simply eye-opening for me. I recommend this book if you are frustrated with our current administration, and you'd like to know what is possible and within our reach if we elect honest politicians who can be held accountable to their districts and popular opinion in America.

No comments: