6.09.2011

Villette by Charlotte Bronte


Lucy Snowe is a young woman who lives with her godmother, Mrs. Bretton, and her son, Graham Bretton. For a period of time she happily observes, though rarely participates, in the family's excitement. The introduction of a pixie-like child named Polly who temporarily stays with the family adds a new dynamic to this oddly pieced together family. Alas, as time goes by, Lucy sets out to provide for herself first becoming a caretaker for an elderly woman. This short episode ends with the woman's death causing Lucy to pursue a new occupation. Quite unpredictably, she leaves England for the Continent. Her destination is Villette, the capital city of Labassecour (a fictional francophone country). There she is hired to be an English teacher by Mme Beck, a directress of a women's boarding school. While in Villette, Lucy makes new friends, has old friendships restored, and even encounters the ghost that haunts the old school. Rather than Lucy's interactions taking center stage in this novel, it's Lucy herself who becomes the primary subject for the reader. She shares the depths of her heart, the ardor of her Protestant faith, and thoughtful reflections on her interactions with those in Villette.

This is a challenging book review for me. Have you ever loved a book so much that you compared others to it? Such was the case with Jane Eyre. This being the second novel I've read penned by Charlotte Bronte, I yielded to comparison more than I wish. Why? Because this book is written in a different style with a distinctly different purpose. It's easy at first to draw parallels between Jane Eyre & Lucy Snowe; both claim to be no beauties and seem to have no immediate family who cares for them. Bronte distinguishes Jane by giving her a fantastic tale, romance, and a seemingly flawless personality. Bronte's intentions with Lucy were quite different; Lucy wasn't meant to be a spectacular protagonist in the same way as Jane (most easily illustrated by Bronte's choice to title the book Villette~ not Lucy Snowe). The reader seems constantly impressed that Lucy is an observer while those around her are living the traditional story. Yet what matters are Lucy's own thoughts. We learn of her modesty, sensibility, and keen awareness of whom she is (including her strengths and deficiencies). She loves like any woman, but her reason prevents her from ever hoping or expecting a mutual affection in romance (she personifies her Reason frequently when it is particularly ungracious with her heart). She prizes friendship and honest living; at one point she turns down a comfortable occupation serving her aristocratic friend in the hopes that one day she may save enough money as a teacher to open her own school. It's odd, though, because I wouldn't say she is fiercely independent or highly ambitious. I had yet to mention Lucy's friend M. Paul Emanuel, a professor of French literature. The introduction of his personage creates an opportunity for Lucy to be better known to the reader; he is quite her foil and compliment at different times. He sees her quite differently than anyone else, and at times, I believe inaccurately. Though uncomfortable at times, he always is the source of tests and trials which lead to Lucy's confusion, frustration, amusement, and sometimes a habit to avoid him. I have a tendency to go on, so to conclude, one said that Bronte's novel is celebrated not for its plot but for her ability to acutely trace Lucy's psychology.

On one personal preference, I'd like to comment on Bronte's usage of the French language. She used French dialogue and plenty of French words which have been incorporated into the English language to convey with some authenticity that Lucy lived in a francophone country. I would submit, though, that the amount of French dialogue would make anyone without the ability to read it quite fatigued by frequently depending on the footnotes for translation. As for me, I was perturbed more by switching to French dialogue and then abruptly returning to English because Bronte wanted to communicate the content of a French conversation more quickly with the reader. I would have preferred the French conversations to be wholly French; though I don't know what kind of book that would have made, and I doubt it could have been popular. Either way, I'd say Bronte used too much or too little French.

As for recommendations~ if you are in the market to read a Bronte book, please try Jane Eyre first. It is miraculous & wonderful. If you are the kind of person who would read anything a Bronte ever wrote, you should try Villette. I'd also recommend this to ladies who have an affinity for European francophone culture.

No comments: