6.09.2011

Le Lion, La Sorciere, et L'Armoire Magique by C.S. Lewis

This was my first time reading a Narnia book in French (though I've read The Magician's Nephew in Spanish). The translation was very good and felt very much like the English version. By that, I mean that the moments where Lewis addresses the reader directly are clear, and his humor is still present. One thing in particular I noticed this time through was the many lines that reminded me of scripture. I didn't note them as I was going so I don't have any to share at the moment.

My favorite part of the whole book is when Peter and Susan speak with the professor (Diggory) about Lucy and her tale of meeting a fawn in a world she wandered into by the wardrobe in the spare room. They're afraid she's lying or going crazy. The professor gives them a brief lesson in logic~ he reasons that Lucy rarely lies and she clearly isn't mad, so for the time being it must be assumed that she is telling the truth. It perplexes little Susan to hear an adult accept the premise of something that seems so imaginary. I love how Diggory is dumbfounded by how little Peter and Susan will believe, and he incessantly asks what is being taught in school these days. I still don't think logic or imagination are encouraged in schools. It was great to reread this little book (meme en francais!).

No comments: