I especially love the writing style in this book. I love when the main character narrates because it allows the reader to feel more intimately connected to know their observations and thoughts throughout the story. Bronte writes as if she's writing to friends; it always amused me when Jane addressed me as I was reading. I must admit that I expected the book to be a much longer version of a Jane Austen novel. It did not take me long to realize that there is way more intrigue, mystery, and romance in the way Bronte conveyed her story. The characters in Jane Eyre weren't as reserved or straight-laced. My personal favorite part was that many of the characters talked openly about their faith in God. They weren't always saints, but they recognized with God was at work to bring them into relationship with him. If that is not your cup of tea, you probably wouldn't like the ending of this book. I hated to put this one down when there were no more words left to read and will likely read it again in the future.
6.09.2011
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Charlotte Bronte, be my best friend. Jane Eyre has become one of my favorite books. The story revolves around the life of a young orphan girl who is rejected by her only known relatives. She is sent to a Christian boarding school where her fiery spirit encounters a very gentle soul, an older school girl named Helen Burns. Helen demonstrates a strong faith in God and tries to influence Jane to behave and believe. As Jane grows up, she becomes dedicated to working hard and finding a way for herself despite having no connections to friend or family. She becomes a governess at Thornfield Manor and is put in charge of a young French girl. As she lives there longer she builds a strong friendship and admiration for Mr. Rochester, the master of the house. From there, the book takes on so many twists and turns that it no longer seems like a Cinderella/Harry Potter story any longer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment